alternative text

SHOWHOUSE

Our show house viewings and presentations are available every Wednesday at 3pm. No need to book.

Extra show house viewing and presentation:
Sat, May 25th 2024 at 12pm

How to find us…

More previous houses built (click here for photo gallery)...

Forum

Forum2022-09-30T17:05:14+01:00
Please to create posts and topics. If you are a customer and want an account please send an email to forum@scanhome.ie.

Window maintenance - water based varnish Lenhovda and Tanum

Hi all,   I recently explained for a house owner how to maintain windows manufactured by Lenhovda and Tanum, using waterbased varnish. The previous window manufaturer, Elit, used a solvent based varnish that is more compatible with Jupex 45.  Windows used by us over the years:

House #   1 - 175   Elitfönster with solvent based varnish

House # 176 -270  Lenhovda and  Tanum with waterbased varnish.

House  #271 -391  NorDan with aluclad

Hi dear customer,

Window maintenance - water based varnish with weak pigmentation:  

I think our window manufacturer at the time, Tanums fönster, used a water based varnish.
This was not good, it was non-breathable, made the wood rot behind in places and it cracked in the sun.
We have the same bad varnish on the showhouse built in 2005
I prefer linseed oil based products that breathe and age better.
If it was me, and it is because I have many windows from this time with this type of varnish.

I would get ready in good time, so that when it is warm and dry in the spring, you are ready:
1) Scrape off the varnish outside and a bit in around the sides, and all along the bottom.
2) Remove the bottom mechanism of opening windows, clean it, spray with zinc spray and lubricate with white lithium spray grease
3) Clean, sand and zinc-spray all the hinges. Lubricate with white lithium spray grease.
4) You have real rot under the windows in a few places. Here I would remove the soft stuff with a knife.
5) Fill large holes with new wood.
6) Saturate all soft damaged and new wood with 50% wooden tar 50% Jupex 45
7) Paint all scraped and sanded areas with a mix of  10% tar and 90% Jupex 45
8) Paint over all woood with brown pigmented Jupex varnish
We have in stock:
Jupex 45 in 5 lit         93€
Jupex varnish 0,33lit  22€
Wooden tar 1 lit         23€
You don't have much choice, you must do the maintenance of the windows - it is expensive to replace windows...
One 10-14ö, standard opening window would cost 700€ + VAT to supply, and a good bit in labour to replace.
The new windows now are NorDan with alu clad outside, painted white inside and with a greatly improved U-value of 0,82
ATB Lars
Go to Top